Monday, September 3, 2012

Week Zero


Van 41       Pine Tree 28


First Friday night game of the season, and for me,  it was a tough one.  Van, Tx.  A town for which I have felt nothing but utter disdain since Day 1, Kindergarten, Lindale Primary School.  A pointless, unfounded hatred, but a hatred nonetheless.  Blame it on geography.  According to Googlemaps, Van and Lindale are a mere 14.4 mile stretch of asphalt apart from one another, so, naturally, we hate each other’s guts.  Always have, (maybe) always will.



So granted, I had my trepidations when my Friday night cohort suggested we go see Van host the Pirates from Pine Tree for our first game of the season.  He, also of Lindaloneon descent, moved to Van about five years ago and has taken quite a liking to the town and its football program.  I, a grown man of 27, a man just one year away from the tenth anniversary of his high school graduation, felt I had matured enough to handle such a situation with class and dignity.  And I tried.  I really, really tried.  




There I was, surrounded by people that willingly root for the Van Vandals.  I tried to leave a little distance between me and the next person, just in case a “whoop” involuntarily escaped my mouth when Pine Tree scored, so not to offend.  

Van won the toss, and elected to receive.  After a squib of a kick, they started with the ball on their own 45.  2 minutes later, they had 6 points on the board.  Their offense, methodical and precise, made the Pirate defense look silly.  People all around me cheered.  I kept a solemn face, trying my best not to roll my eyes.  I internally cheered a minute later, when the extra point attempt was missed so poorly it was as if Van had sent out a crutched Tiny Tim to try it.  



Then, after another sloppy kick off, Pine Tree took their first play from scrimmage to the endzone.  A rush from a monster of a kid who simply refused to be tackled.  With a made extra point, Pine Tree took a 7 to 6 lead.  And I thought, “This is going to be a good game”.  

I was wrong.  Van is good.  They have an experienced QB / WR  tandem that may be the best in East Texas, and a solid, and I mean solid, running game.  They proceeded to dominate the rest of the contest, shutting down Pine Tree’s monster running back to the point that I hadn’t noticed he was even still playing. 






Both teams fought hard, and Van came out on top.  As much as I hate that.  

But I walked away with a tiny victory that night as well.  I grew, as a person.  I made it through the whole evening without wishing (serious) harm upon anyone.  I clapped once or twice for successful Van plays.  I enjoyed the band.  I almost caught a celebratory football thrown into the stands after a Van touchdown, and have almost convinced my self I wouldn’t have thrown it back if I had.  

All in all, it was an excellent night.  High School Football was played, bands marched, twirlers twirled, and popcorn was eaten.  What more could you ask for, even if Lindale’s little red-headed stepbrother got a win.

Looking forward to next week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment