Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson


Takeaway #1  Artists are crazy.
Takeaway #2  Crazy breeds crazy.
Takeaway #3  This is probably a good thing.



Caleb and Camille Fang are “artists”.(exaggerated finger quotes)  “Performance artists” (more exaggerated than the last exaggerated finger quotes finger quotes) whose conceptual pieces are designed to insert some chaos into what is an otherwise mundane world.  Their formula is simple.  Cause a scene, film the reaction.  Art.  


Now, I know what you’re thinking.  “That’s Youtube type sh*t” you say.  “Arrogant teenage boys do that all the f-ing time.  And I don’t call it art.  I call it a-hole kids whose parents didn’t put a hand to them enough when they were younger.”  To which I respond, 1) Your language is deplorable  2) Yes, you are correct, hence my super awesome and super judgmental finger quotes.  

Now, I am not an art cynic by any means.  I enjoy art, and in many different mediums.  I like Ron Mueck sculptures.  I like Rothko’s color blocking.  I even walked through an entire Fontana exhibit and never once pointed out to the fawning patrons that all this guy did was paint a canvas then slash it with a box cutter.  I’m cool.  I get it.  Art is subjective, in both definition and perceived quality.  And I respect that.  But all opinions are fair, therefore you have to respect my finger quotes.  

But none of that even matters.  This is not a book about art.  This is a book about family.  Crazy, crazy family.  

Most Fang performances are centered around Caleb and Camille’s two children, Annie and Buster, better known to the art world as Child A and Child B.  A(nnie) has smashed guitars on crowded street corners in an effort to save her sick pet dog that doesn’t exist.  B(uster) has dressed in drag and competed in Jr. Miss Beauty Pageants.  All for the sake of their parents' “art”. 

With such a stable childhood, it is hard to believe that Annie could grow up to be a drug addicted (Academy Award winning) actress that exposes her above the waist lady parts to a camera-phone wielding public, and that Buster could become a failed novelist turned journalist that gets shot in the face by a potato cannon.  But they do.  They SO do.  

Buster’s face is broken, and he needs at-home care.  Annie needs to get out of the public eye until her tabloid issues die down.  Both end up going home.  All four Fangs together again.  Camille and Caleb are excited.  Family art can be made again.  A and B are not excited.  Family art can be made again.  But when their parents’ van is found at a Tennessee rest stop with blood on the seats, Buster and Annie set out to see if foul play has truly occurred, or if Caleb and Camille have simply pulled of a masterpiece. 


No comments:

Post a Comment