Sunday, May 4, 2014

Fire and Meat


A BBQ festival, in theory, sounds amazing. In reality, it's just walking around, eating fatty, fatty meats from 15 of the best BBQ joints in Texas on a sunny Sarurday afternoon. So, basically, amazing. The key, however, is pacing yourself; which I did not do. Not entirely my fault.  I blame the layout. 
As you can see, there were 7 (8 if you count Hutchins BBQ of McKinney, who seemed more interested in getting Instagram photos of their meat than getting food out to the customers) within 40 yards of the front gate. All offering up their take on brisket, ribs, and sausage. 

Riverport BBQ Jefferson TX


I went too hard too fast, and before I knew it, all the cattle and swine I had ingested felt like a rock in my stomach. I knew, at that point, that later would not be fun. But I had to carry on. For meat's sake.

Louie Mueller Taylor TX

I sweat my way through four more booths before my arteries decided that they had had enough.  My blood was pretty much liquid beef gristle at that point. I found a nice shaded place and sat down, ready to die. 

Stanley's BBQ Tyler TX

But I didn't die. I pulled through. Even somehow garnered enough energy to waddle out of there under my own power. As I made it back to my car I asked myself if I would ever do something like that again? Tomorrow.  I would do it again tomorrow. 




No comments:

Post a Comment