Monday, February 2, 2015

Read: Sell Out by Simon Rich




Simon Rich and I are practically the same person. Simon Rich is 30 years old. I am 30 years old. Simon Rich has brunetteish hair. I have brunetteish hair. Simon Rich is Jewish. I am open to the idea of fish on bagels. But it is where we differ that makes him a more important human than me. Simon Rich is a gifted writer, providing the world with uniquely hilarious and poignant short storiesnovels,, and now, TV shows. I merely write blogs about how Simon Rich is a gifted writer, providing the world with uniquely hilarious and poignant short stories, novels, and now, TV shows.


My favorite of Simon Rich’s works are his shorts for the New Yorker, particularly Sell Out. Sell Out is the tale of an immigrant pickle factory worker in early 1900’s New York. One fateful day, he falls into a vat of pickling brine and the lid is closed above him by mistake. In this vat he stays for 100 years, perfectly preserved, until some “conceptual artists” find him while reclaiming the abandoned pickle factory for a performance space. Science lets him know that he has a great-great-grandson named Simon Rich, who lives in Brooklyn. He moves in with Simon, and attempts to adjust to modern Brooklyn life. Hilarity ensues. But don’t take my word for it ....

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/sell-out-part-one



No comments:

Post a Comment